DIY AC Maintenance Tips
You’ve heard it a hundred times and, frankly, we hope you’ve heeded the advice. And that is, have preventive maintenance performed on your central or ductless air system once a year. It’s a great way to keep it running at peak performance, but it’s not the only way. That’s because a lot of things can wrong in a year, and nobody is better suited to ensure nothing goes wrong than you.
So, from your local HVAC maintenance, repair, and installation pros at Zach Heating & Cooling, here are several things you can do to help your own cause:
- Clean or replace your filter about every 6 to 8 weeks. Eventually you’ll figure out the right frequency, which varies from system to system and by type of filter.
- Keep weeds and shrubs away from your outdoor condensing unit so it can properly vent indoor heat.
- Clean the coils on your outside condensing unit.
- Keep an eye on your indoor air handler for water leaks or ice formations.
- Keep window treatments and all other obstructions away from registers and vents.
- Switch to programmable thermostats to cut back on wear and tear and energy costs.
- Install one or more ceiling fans so you can enjoy maximum comfort with even greater energy savings. Ceiling fans pull cool air back up since, as you know, warm air rises and cool air falls. In effect, a ceiling fan can help you get more from the cool air your AC system generates, and that means less cool air is needed to keep you comfortable.
AC Preventive Maintenance from Zach Heating & Cooling
Our preventive maintenance service consists of a multi-point AC tune-up and inspection, one that’s designed to help ensure fewer repairs, longer equipment life, and reduced energy costs. Here are just some of the steps we employ:
- Check thermostat
- Check air filter
- Lubricate motors
- Check and adjust blower motor and belts
- Check electrical connections
- Measure refrigerant levels and charge
- Check start-up and shut-down operations
- Check all safety controls
It’s a job to be undertaken by licensed and experienced HVAC professionals. And here we are, Zach Heating & Cooling, serving Wayne and surrounding communities. We welcome the opportunity to tend to your heating and cooling needs, too. Contact us today to schedule service. (link to Contact page)
DIY AC Maintenance Tips, Laurel & Wakefield – While your AC system requires professional annual maintenance, there’s a lot you can do to help keep it running.